Dr. Navid Rahmani is a leading dental implant specialist in NYC and one of few implant dentists in New York region to offer newest and most advanced dental implant options and latest procedures. Dr. Rahmani of NYC Dental Implants Center is located in Midtown Manhattan & Upper East Side, NYC.
Restore the Entire Upper or Lower Arch of Teeth in One Complete Bridge
Full mouth dental implants are used to restore the entire upper or lower arch of teeth in one complete bridge and this is often called full mouth restoration or full arch replacement.
It is possible to have a bridge to replace 10 or 12 teeth using multiple dental implants for support. This type of full mouth restoration is either screwed or cemented in place.
We do sometimes prefer to screw such a large bridge in position as it is easily retrievable should it require any maintenance at a later date. The screws go directly through the bridge but are covered up with tooth colored composite resin so they are completely invisible.
The exact number of dental implants required can vary, according to whether it is a lower or upper arch of teeth and the number of replacement teeth being supported.
Who Can Have Full Mouth Implants?
The requirements for full mouth implants are exactly the same as for any dental implant procedure. This treatment is equally suitable for healthy men and women of any age. Dr. Navid Rahmani will need to examine your mouth and will want to discuss your medical history as systemic diseases can affect healing. Certain medications could also affect treatment.
With full mouth implants, the dental implants are placed at strategic intervals throughout your upper or lower arch and it is important they receive sufficient support from the surrounding bone. If you lost teeth quite a few years ago then you may have suffered significant from missing teeth tooth bone loss.
This may also be the case if you had advanced periodontal disease which has resulted in the destruction of the bone that used to surround your natural teeth. If you have lost bone then treatment is normally still possible as Dr. Rahmani can build up bone for implant levels using sophisticated bone grafting techniques. At our NYC implant office we do not see any evidence to suggest the success of dental implant treatment is affected by age or gender.
Are There Any Alternatives to Full Mouth Implants?
This type of restoration does require multiple dental implants which may not be a suitable solution for everyone. An alternative is to consider:
- All on Four dental implants as this is a system that uses just four dental implants to support a lower denture, providing a cost-effective long-term solution. Additionally, with All-on-Four, the implants are located towards the front of the mouth, often reducing or eliminating the need for extensive bone grafts. With this system, the implants can be immediately loaded soon after surgery is completed.
- Teeth in a day
- Mini dental implants can also be used to stabilize loose dentures
What is the Procedure for Full Mouth Implants?
- Initial examination
- 3-D image of your jaws using Cone Beam CT scan
- Planing your implant surgery using computer guided surgery
- Fabrication of custom-made template or stent
- Cover implants with healing caps to integrate and bond with your jawbone
- Temporary teeth placement
- Fabricate permanent teeth, after implants have healed
Treatment for full mouth implants is very similar to the treatment for multiple teeth implants as a high degree of planning is necessary to ensure complete success. After your initial examination with top NYC dentist, Dr Rahmani, you will need to have a Cone Beam CT scan that will provide a detailed 3-D image of your jaws and all the important structures including bone, muscles, nerves and blood vessels. Using this information, Dr. Rahmani will plan your implant surgery using computer guided surgery.
Once it’s decided on the best position for each dental implant, a custom-made template or stent will be fabricated to ensure the implants are inserted into precisely the right positions. Afterwards the implants are covered up with healing caps and are left to integrate and bond with your jawbone. At this point we can provide temporary teeth or we may be able to adapt an existing full replacement denture for use during this time.
Once your implants have healed, you can return to see us so we can fabricate your permanent teeth. A full arch bridge can be made from a number of different materials but it’s becoming increasingly common to use zirconia. Zirconia is an entirely metal free, tooth colored material that is incredibly strong and lifelike.
It is normal to feel some discomfort after receiving multiple dental implants, NYC implants specialist can provide advice on using over-the-counter painkillers or will give you a prescription for pain medication. You may need to take antibiotics and we might suggest using an antimicrobial mouth rinse for the first week or so after surgery. We will provide you with lots of information on how to care for your implants, including information on cleaning and the best foods to eat for the first few days after surgery.
What Are the Advantages of Full Mouth Implants?
- Full mouth implants are ideal for anyone who currently wears full dentures or who is facing complete tooth loss.
- Treatment allows patients to experience the feeling of having teeth that are stable and strong and which remain permanently in place unless taken out by a dentist.
- Self-confidence and self-esteem are increased, by restoring teeth in a way that feels permanent and very natural.
- Many more foods can be enjoyed.
- A full mouth bridge is a much healthier solution for your jaws as your jawbone will be better preserved. As the dental implants gradually integrate with your jawbone, they will ensure the surrounding bone is kept healthy and strong.
- In the longer term, full mouth implants can be much easier to maintain compared to conventional dentures and your implant retained bridge will ensure your cheeks and lips are properly supported, preventing that collapsed in look that is so common among denture wearers.
- Full mouth implants offer a predictable approach to tooth replacement, although treatment may take slightly longer to complete than using an alternative dental implant system.
What Are the Disadvantages to This Treatment?
With full mouth implants it is necessary to allow the dental implants to heal, a process that can take several months before the implants can be restored with permanent teeth. During this time the implants mustn’t come under any pressure that could affect their integration with the surrounding bone. Any type of movement to the implant posts during healing could increase the risk of implant failure. Anyone who lost teeth quite some time ago is more likely to require bone grafts, adding additional time and cost to this treatment.
What is the Success Rate for Full Mouth Implants?
The success rate for this treatment is very high and full mouth implants should last for many years. With the correct care and maintenance, dental implants can have a success rate in excess of 90% after 15 years, but it is important to be aware of factors that can affect the long-term success of this treatment.
What Are these Risk Factors?
Risk factors include:
- Failure of the dental implants due to poor oral hygiene
- Failure due to uncontrolled diabetes
- Bruxism or any type of occlusal trauma could affect the longevity of the dental implants
What Is the Cost of Full Mouth Implants?
Restoring a complete arch of teeth with full mouth implants can require multiple dental implants in order to ensure the bridge is properly supported. The exact number of dental implants required can vary depending on the number of teeth to be restored. The cost of treatment is also dependent on whether any additional procedures are required, for example bone grafts.
Dr. Navid Rahmani is an internationally recognized, Board Certified Periodontist and best rated dental implant specialist. All procedures are performed on Upper East Side in our Midtown NYC dental center. If you have any questions about full mouth implants and restoration or to make an appointment please call our Midtown Manhattan dental implants center:
NYC Dental Implants Center
225 East 64th Street Ste 1B
New York, New York 10065
(64th St. btw 2nd/3rd Ave.)