The Function of a Dental Implant
NYC dentist Dr. Rahmani is an internationally recognized, Board Certified Periodontist and best rated dentist in New York. All procedures are performed on Upper East Side in our Midtown NYC Dental Implants Center.
What Is a Dental Implant?
A dental implant is a way of artificially replacing a tooth, including the tooth root.
It consists of a post that is inserted into the jawbone during a small surgical procedure and is used to support a dental prosthesis that may be a crown, bridge or denture.
The implant interacts with the jawbone during a process called osseointegration, forming a strong bond between the implant post and the jawbone, creating the kind of strength and stability only previously provided by natural teeth.
In the Past: Dental Bridges and Dentures
In the past options for replacing missing teeth included dental bridges and dentures, but these can only rest on the gums and are not able to give the high degree of functionality provided by a dental implant.
By artificially replacing a tooth root, a dental implant can feel just like a natural tooth, restoring your ability to eat and chew with complete confidence.
What Is the Function of a Dental Implant?
Restoring a single missing tooth with an implant can look amazing as the tooth will emerge from the gum just like a natural tooth.
Where multiple teeth are missing in the same area of the mouth, an implant supported bridge can be fitted, without the need to cut down healthy teeth adjacent to the gap.
By using dental implants, dentures can be comfortably and firmly retained as they will have special attachments that will clip onto the dental implants or onto a bar that has been attached to the implants.
It is also possible to use dental implants to retain a complete arch of teeth. This will replace the denture with a bridge that can only be removed by Dr. Rahmani. This is either screwed or cemented onto the dental implants or even mini dental implants.
Mini Dental Implants
Mini dental implants are made from the same high quality titanium alloy implants but their smaller size increases the versatility of treatment.
You may also hear these dental implants referred to as small diameter implants or narrow body implants. Mini dental implants can also be used to stabilize loose dentures
- Narrower screw: Mini dental implants have a much narrower screw and are often used to stabilize loose dentures or to replace very small teeth such as lower incisors and where there is not enough room for a conventional sized dental implant.
- Stabilize lower denture: They can be a particularly useful option for stabilizing lower dentures and there are several advantages in using this system over traditional dental implants.
- No bone grafts required: The narrower screw can avoid the need for bone grafts that would be required for more traditional or single dental implant treatment as it is much easier to find sufficient healthy bone in which to insert the dental implants.
- Speed up healing, no stitches: The process to place these dental implants is quicker and can be more comfortable as they are inserted directly through the gum tissue, usually eliminating the need for stitches which helps to speed up healing.
- Smaller design: The smaller design of mini dental implants means they are cheaper than traditional implants, making treatment more affordable. Your denture will be specially designed to clip onto the mini dental implants, ensuring it will be held firmly in place so you can eat and speak with complete confidence. The denture can still be taken out for easy cleaning.
- Multiple options: It can be worth enquiring about mini dental implants if you have previously been told you would require a bone graft prior to implant surgery or if you thought dental implant treatment was unaffordable. There are many types of mini dental implants that can be used and Dr. Rahmani will discuss all options with you during your first consultation.
If you have any questions about dental implants in NYC, mini implants placement and restoration or to make an appointment please call our Midtown Manhattan NYC dental implants center:
NYC Dental Implants Center
121 East 60th St Ste 6C2
New York, New York 10065
(60th St. btw Park Ave / Lex Ave)